- Valerie Amos was to take up her post today as the Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, succeeding John Holmes, but that’s been postponed until next Monday.
- The following governments will chair their respective regional groups this month: Lesotho (African Group), Republic of Korea (Asian Group), Bulgaria (Eastern Europe), Suriname (GRULAC), Denmark (WEOG).
- Turkey will assume the presidency of the UN Security Council for the month of September.
and a couple of belated, yet still interesting, items:
- The UN Secretary-General’s “focus is on the job that he is doing now, which is this term,” rather than announcing whether he’s running for a second term.
- French President Sarkozy proposes a G20 Secretariat be created to manage the implementation of decisions by the bloc of major world economies. Perhaps in Canada?